Message from James Compton, UWOFA President:
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 09:34:09 -0400
From: James Compton <firstname.lastname@example.org>
To: CAUTgen Discussion List <email@example.com>
Subject: Targeted Email Campaign In Support of UWOFA Bargaining – PLEASE DISTRIBUTE
Dear University of Western Ontario Faculty Association supporters:
As you may know, UWOFA has been without a contract since June and, as of 12:01 a.m. on November 3, will be in a legal strike position. While negotiations are continuing, they have not yet shown enough progress to warrant optimism that a settlement can be reached before the deadline. Issues that remain under negotiation include job security for full and part-time members, centralized administrative control over teaching, research, and members’ private lives, all of which amount to a serious erosion of academic freedom and the peer-review system. Other issues that remain unresolved include equitable compensation, and respect for due process, collegial self-governance and procedural fairness. UWOFA remains committed to the collective bargaining process, but as we prepare for a possible strike, we could really use your support in our efforts to achieve a fair settlement.
What can you do to help support Western’s Faculty members?
Here are some ideas:
1. TARGETED EMAIL CAMPAIGN ON MONDAY.
We plan to flood the President’s office with email messages during a coordinated three-hour window on MONDAY NOVEMBER 1 between 12:00 and 3:00 pm.If everyone sends an email to the president at the same time, we will send a strong collective message to the administration.Even if you have already sent an email of support, please send another.In the event that his email inbox gets too full and your message bounced back, keep trying to send it (even if you end up connecting after the 12:00 – 3:00 window).You can write your own message, or simply use the template attached below.
2. IF YOU CANNOT PARTICIPATE IN THE CAMPAIGN ON NOV 1, PLEASE SEND AN EMAIL anyway to UWO’s President Amit Chakma: firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:email@example.com>and/or Chair of the Board of Governors: Frank Angelleti: firstname.lastname@example.org <mailto:email@example.com> calling on him to negotiate a fair and timely settlement of the issues.
3. JOIN UWOFA’s FACEBOOK GROUP and TWITTER feed to receive updates and information about the progress of negotiations and/or the strike. You can find them here:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=122047621146000 and here: http://twitter.com/#!/UWOFA.
4. PLEASE INVITE OTHER SUPPORTERS to write emails and join our facebook group and twitter page. We would like to see a critical mass of support from other union groups in the London area and across Ontario.
5. WRITE A LETTER TO THE EDTIOR. Write a letter to our local newspapers in support of UWOFA.
- The Western Gazette (student newspaper): ONLINE FORM OR EMAIL http://westerngazette.ca/contact/
- The Western News (university newspaper): EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org
- London Free Press (150 words max): EMAIL email@example.com
- The Londoner: ONLINE FORM http://www.thelondoner.ca/feedback1/LetterToEditor.aspx
6. LEARN MORE ABOUT THE ISSUES.
Here are some links where you can get additional information: UWOFA website: www.uwofa.ca
Thanks for your support! Please circulate this message on your own social networks.
TEMPLATE FOR LETTER TO PRESIDENT AMIT CHAKMA AND CHAIR OF THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS FRANK ANGELLETI: Please cut and paste
Dear President Chakma/ Chairman Angelleti
I write out of grave concern about the future of the University of Western Ontario in light of the threat of a possible faculty strike next week.
Western faculty members are your most valuable assets. If you cheapen them, you cheapen students’ quality of education, the quality of Western’s research output, and harm your quest to enhance Western’s reputation and rankings in Canada and abroad.I urge you to show more respect for your faculty by negotiating a fair and timely settlement on issues of tenure protection, collegial self-governance, equitable compensation and procedural fairness.
Faculty of Information and Media Studies
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario, Canada
Tel:519.661.2111 ext. 86658 Fax:519-661-3506 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org