Round and about
August 14, 2009
Some stories of interest in the last little while:
- “UK: Top universities reject extra places,” David Jobbins, University World News 87 (Aug. 2/09): targets but no funding.
- “UK: MPs infuriate universities,” Diane Spencer, University World News 88 (Aug. 9/09): more micro-management.
- “ Brian E. Brown, Toronto Star (Aug. 11/09): makes the persuasive argument that government enthusiasm for credit-transfer is all about cost-cutting, and at a considerable price.
- “Using Adjuncts, Off the Payroll,” Scott Jaschik, Inside Higher Ed (Aug. 11/09): finding new and creative ways to abuse contract academics.
- “How Web-Savvy Edupunks Are Transforming American Higher Education,” Anya Kamenetz, FastCompany (Sept./09): brave new world.